Little Italy

Text on Marker:

LITTLE ITALY

1880S-1930S

-------------------

THE RETSOF MINING COMPANY

DEVELOPED THIS AREA, NEAR

ITS ORIGINAL SHAFT, AS A 

COMMUNITY FOR ITS IMMIGRANT

WORKERS IN THE MID-1880’S.

PRIOR TO ITS DECLINE, DURING

THE 1920’S, “LITTLE ITALY”

HAD GROWN TO NEARLY FORTY

HOMES AND A BOARDING HOUSE.


Location: North side of Spring St., .2 miles from Retsof Rd., west of railroad track, Town of York


Erected: Town of York Historical Society, 1994

Just across Spring Street from this historical marker is the north entrance to the new Little Italy Nature Preserve. The trail, which is on private property but open from dawn to dusk, passes through the former settlement of Little Italy. Numerous foundations and cellar holes can be seen, marking the homes of the Retsof Salt Mine workers' homes.